Toasted Mug Bread
Toasted bread is a staple food in the American diet. I grew up eating it—just like everyone else in my hometown. When we started eating keto, I quickly realized that I needed a gluten free, low carb replacement for it. What was I going to use to sop up the last bit of foie gras fat? How was I going to eat crab dip? My version, Toasted Mug Bread, takes a few minutes in the microwave. That way, I can make it when the craving strikes.
PREP: Less than 5 minutes
COOK: 5 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon extra-fine almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, cream, melted butter, flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour into microwave safe mug.
- Tap bottom of mug against hard surface to displace any bubbles.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until top of bread appears dry.
- Invert mug onto a cutting board and let bread slide out.
- Slice into half-inch thick rounds.
- In a small skillet, melt butter.
- Add each round to skillet and toast until golden brown on each side.
YIELD: 4 servings
This is a fun recipe to experiment with. Sometimes, I add shredded cheese and fresh herbs to it.
While I prefer my mug bread toasted, you can omit that step to cut the fat and calories.
I use this recipe to make the bread for many of my favorite dishes: Hot Brown, Crab Dip, Eggs Benedict, and more.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
- Net carbs: 1 grams
- Total carbs: 2 grams
- Fiber: 1 grams
- Fat: 12 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Calories: 126
- Glycemic load: 0