Cats love butter. One time, Sam read that on the internet. It was touted as a cat hack to make them happy. The instruction was to place a dab of butter on the front paw to keep a cat busy and distracted when other things are going on. While I don’t know if cats really do love butter (and know for a fact that this hack is not legit even though she tried it a couple of times), I can guarantee that Sam loves Salted Butter. I haven’t tried the hack on her, yet…
Homemade butter is one of those flavors that can’t be replicated. When I think about butter, I feel happy. Salted Butter is the ultimate comfort food/condiment. Luckily, the recipe is already keto. Making butter is a worthwhile activity for when you want your meal to be extra special. One of the coolest things about it is that this is a good way to connect with food. Experiencing the craft of it creates a sense of accomplishment that carries over into the enjoyment of food containing real butter. Slather on fresh vegetables from your garden or farmer’s market for a fabulously health-forward indulgence.
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 pound ice cubes
1 gallon water
1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a stand mixer bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until liquid separates. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Place butter in a mesh strainer and allow to drain until liquid is gone.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ¼ pound ice and ¼ gallon water.
- Place blob of butter into bowl and knead until water is cloudy.
- Drain and repeat 3 times.
- Remove butter and rinse under cold water until it runs clear.
- Knead in salt.
- Place in refrigerator and chill until butter is firm.
- Serve at room temperature as a condiment on your favorite foods.
Want to add some flavor fun? Add a tablespoon of your favorite herbs or spices with the salt.
Due to the seasonal nature of real ingredients, it may sometimes require additional washings of the butter to make the water run clear.
You can also use this recipe to make Mason Jar Butter. Just shake the heavy whipping cream instead of putting in the stand mixer.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 0 grams
Sugar alcohols: 0 grams
Total carbs: 0 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Fat: 12 grams
Protein: 0 grams
Sodium: 91 milligrams