Cats love butter. One time, Sam read that on the internet. It was touted as a cat hack to make them happy. The instruction was to place a dab of butter on the front paw to keep a cat busy and distracted when other things are going on. While I don’t know if cats really do love butter (and know for a fact that this hack is not legit even though she tried it a couple of times), I can guarantee that Sam loves Salted Butter. I haven’t tried the hack on her, yet…
Butter is one of those things that can’t be replicated. When I think about butter, I feel happy. Salted Butter is the ultimate comfort food/condiment. Luckily, the recipe is already keto. Making butter is a worthwhile activity for when you want your meal to be extra special. One of the coolest things about it is that this is a good way to connect with food. Experiencing the craft of it creates a sense of accomplishment that carries over into the enjoyment of food containing real butter.
PREP: Less than 5 minutes
COOK: 20 minutes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound ice cubes
- 1 gallon water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a stand mixer bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until liquid separates. This may take up to 5 minutes.
- Place butter in a mesh strainer and allow to drain until liquid is gone.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ¼ pound ice and ¼ gallon water.
- Place blob of butter into bowl and knead until water is cloudy.
- Drain and repeat 3 times.
- Remove butter and rinse under cold water until it runs clear.
- Knead in salt.
- Place in refrigerator and chill until butter is firm.
- Serve at room temperature as a condiment on your favorite foods.
YIELD: 8 servings
- Want to add some flavor fun? Add a tablespoon of your favorite herbs or spices with the salt.
- Due to the seasonal nature of real ingredients, it may sometimes require additional washings of the butter to make the water run clear.
- You can also use this recipe to make Mason Jar Butter. Just shake the heavy whipping cream instead of putting in the stand mixer.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 0 grams
Sugar alcohols: 0 grams
Total carbs: 0 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Fat: 12 grams
Protein: 0 grams
Sodium: 91 milligrams