For Independence Day, Chef Alexa made one of our favorite summer desserts, Pavlova. Did you see it on the IGTV live broadcast where we picked the winners of the #NotTodayCarbs Contest? A Pavlova makes a perfect treat for July in Indiana, because it showcases fresh berries. In Australia and New Zealand, people make it for Christmas for the same reason. Our version is gluten free, sugar free, grain free, and delicious.
4 large egg whites
½ cup powdered erythritol
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon xaynthan gum
¼ cup crème fraiche
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut a nine-inch circle of parchment paper. Place on baking tray.
- With a mixer, beat egg whites for five minutes.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar and xaynthan gum into bowl. Let beat until just combined.
- Add half the powdered erythritol and beat until combined. Add the rest of the Swerve and beat until that is combined, too.
- Add vanilla extract to the mixing bowl. Beat until meringue has glossy stiff peaks, about two minutes or so.
- Spread meringue around on parchment paper, covering entire circle. Leave edges raised to hold in toppings.
- Place it in the oven. Immediately turn the temperature down to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 90 minutes. Do not open oven during this time.
- Allow meringue to cool in the oven for at least an hour. If you need to hold the shell for more than a day, keep it in the oven (make sure off).
- Fold together crème fraiche and whipped cream until just mixed.
- Spread topping into the center of the meringue, leaving raised edge bare.
- Sprinkle berries atop.
- Cut into 12 triangles to serve.
Pavlovas are not intended to be made ahead. Make the topping and assemble right before serving.
This dessert should be consumed immediately. If you try to keep it in the refrigerator, the meringue will become gummy and unappealing.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 1 gram
Total carbs: 6 grams
Fiber: 0 gram
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Calories: 60 calories