Sam loves lemons. I love them, too, but not as much as she does. Lemonade, lemon chiffon pie, lemon sticks, lemon floor cleaner, and, especially, Lemon Curd are among her favorite things. She even loves the color of lemon yellow. I learned early on in our relationship that lemon flavored foods were the way to my sweetie’s tart heart.
When we started eating keto, many of her favorite things were no longer an option for me to prepare for her. What’s a chef to do? I quickly came up with my own recipe for Lemon Curd. Thanks to allulose, I was able to keep Sam happy with her favorite flavor and scent. She refers to it as "sunshine on a spoon."
Serve Lemon Curd with fresh berries on a bright summer day. Nice and light, the flavor of Lemon Curd will indulge your taste buds without weighing them down.
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
½ cup allulose
4 extra large egg yolks
3 tablespoons salted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare a double boiler with simmering water.
- Place all ingredients in the top piece of double boiler, whisking constantly until very thick (about 10 minutes).
- Pour Lemon Curd into a blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Let cool in refrigerator for at least half an hour or until cold.
- Serve cold or store in air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Sometimes, I add a few drops of peppermint oil to give it a Baltimore lemon stick twist.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 2 grams
Sugar alcohols: 7 grams
Total carbs: 9 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Sodium: 3 milligrams