Decadent Mac(adamias) and Cheese
Way back when in my pre-keto days, I was crowned “Queen of All the Dairy” for winning the American Dairy Association of Indiana’s Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese Cook-Off. Held during the Indiana State Fair, the live cooking competition even included dairy farmers. They know dairy. I’m not being cheesy when I say this is quite an accomplishment.
Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. It warms your soul on cold, rainy days. It sticks to your ribs and puts a smile on your face. But it is by no stretch of the imagination keto or low carb.
What’s a Queen to do when her subjects demand the cheesy goodness keto-style? Well, I give you this Decadent Mac(adamias) and Cheese recipe. Okay, it’s mostly cauliflower and cheese. That doesn’t roll off the tongue as well. All the good stuff stays in. All the useless carbs are out the door.
4 cups cauliflower florets
16 ounces heavy whipping cream
1 stick butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1 pound shredded cheddar (reserve half a cup)
1 pound queso quesadilla (reserve half a cup)
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ cup ground macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill medium sauce pan ¾ way full with water. Bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes. Drain immediately.
- Place cauliflower between paper towels and press out as much moisture as possible.
- In a small sauce pan, combine heavy cream, butter, and cream cheese. Over low heat, stir constantly until melted. Remove from heat.
- Mix cheddar, queso quesadilla, sour cream, cheese, salt, pepper, and mixture from above step in a large bowl.
- Add cauliflower and mix until just combined. Spread into 9x13 casserole dish.
- Mix together reserved cheese and macadamia nuts. Sprinkle across top of casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes (or until bubbly). Serve hot.
16 half cup portions
If you prefer, you can cook this in individual ramekins for better portion control. Just cut back the cooking time by about 15 minutes.
You can add chopped ham or other meats to make it a full meal. If you prefer fresh vegetables, use those instead.
NUTRITION BREAKDOWN, EACH SERVING
Net carbs: 4 grams
Total carbs: 5 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Fat: 40 grams
Protein: 17 grams